A Naturopathic Physician (ND or NMD) practices a form of medicine that blends centuries-old, natural, non-toxic therapies with current advances in the study of health and human systems. Naturopathic medicine covers all aspects of family health from prenatal to geriatric care, with a special focus on whole patient wellness. Naturopathic Physicians tailor their treatment protocols to suit each patient as an individual, placing a strong emphasis upon prevention and self-care.
In practice, Naturopathic Physicians:
- perform physical examinations
- take thorough health histories
- make nutritional and dietary assessments and
- order diagnostic lab tests, x-ray, ultrasounds and other imaging procedures.
Naturopathic physicians work in private practice or in integrated settings with other medical providers such as conventional medical doctors, osteopathic physicians and chiropractic physicians. The result is a patient-centered, comprehensive approach that provides the most appropriate treatment for an individual’s needs. Naturopathic physicians educate patients about why they are unwell and provide the tools for achieving optimal health.
Naturopathic Doctors are graduates from accredited naturopathic medical schools and are eligible to practice medicine in any state in which they meet the licensing or state requirements. In all licensed states, ND graduates are required to pass rigorous professional board exams in order to be licensed as primary care physicians. Only graduates from CNME accredited naturopathic medical schools are eligible to sit for the professional board exams in licensed states and provinces.
Most naturopathic doctors provide primary care natural medicine through office-based, private practice. In states where NDs have been licensed for many years, they often work in collaboration with medical doctors, and routinely refer patients to each other for optimum management of a patient’s healthcare.
- How do I find a Naturopathic Doctor
- How do I become a Naturopathic Doctor
- What education does a Naturopathic Doctor have
- How can I find Naturopathic Doctor’s State Associations
- What is Naturopathic Medicine
- What therapies do Naturopathic Doctors use
- What are CNME-accredited Naturopathic Medical Schools