Pizza! Pizza! Basil, Onion & Spinach Supreme Recipe
With this tasty pizza recipe you have a variety of options for dough and toppings. Caramelized onions and basil are essential for this recipe’s flavor profile. Mushrooms and spinach are nutritious to include, while artichoke, sliced tomato, and bell peppers offer unique flavor and color.
For dough, make your own (our favorite option), or purchase the dough from a local bake shop or your grocery store refrigerated/frozen section. Alternatively, go for gluten-free dough or try one of the thin, crispy ready-made shells made from cauliflower.
- 1 Pizza Dough of your choice
- 1 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 T butter (or non-dairy substitute)
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 oz sliced button mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (non-dairy cheese is an option)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 t chopped fresh basil leaves
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Follow preparation instructions for your dough. We like to brush with EVOO. Bake. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Melt butter in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and salt; cook 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion softens and begins to brown. Add mushrooms and saute an additional 5-7 minutes or until softened and also beginning to brown. Stir in garlic, and a small amount of chopped fresh basil; remove from heat.
- Spread mushroom mixture evenly over dough. Top with spinach, mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese or any other toppings you’ve selected; don’t make the thin crust too heavy.
- Bake 7 to 11 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is golden brown. Sprinkle with fresh basil, let cool, cut and serve..